Thursday, September 22, 2011

Baby Update

After a VERY LONG night (kids kept waking all night long and I ended up for over 2 hours straight in the middle of the night), I had an ultrasound today and my mom came along to help with little ones. They did very well.

The first image we saw -

The baby says "Hi!"

It is truly amazing what you can see so early.  Each one of the children has developed their own distinct personality before they were born, and this one is no different. I cannot wait to learn more about this precious one! And yes those personality traits I saw, and felt, before they were born are still there today!

Katherine was the easiest so far and she was a fairly go with the flow baby. Joseph was active, and was almost always sucking his thumb. Isabelle was my most stubborn, and after a while we realized she was not sucking her thumb but her fingers. She would push her foot into an area that was uncomfortable for me so I would gently push it back. She would move it, for a second, and then push it back even more forcefully - she still does things like that now...

The baby's heart has been beating for weeks, and it is moving on its own already.

You can already start seeing facial features even though they will change before the baby is born. We have already seen the baby's heart beating several times now, but I still LOVE seeing that precious little one moving and that heart beating, especially after our previous loss. Being able to see the baby gives me such great comfort until the point that I can feel those tiny movements.

 Yes, the baby is facing a different direction. Last week the baby kept flipping back and forth. Sounds like I have another VERY active one!

The measurements are still right in line with the estimated due date.

On the way home Katherine asked what CRL on the ultrasound meant. So once I got to look at it when we were home I explained how they measure the baby. Then she got out a ruler and measured out the length they measured the baby (4.95 cm) and since she is not used to metric we looked at what that was in inches (about 2"). She mentioned how tiny that was. Later I realized that she really did not understand that the measurement did not include the baby's legs! I explained that to her and she felt better about it, and I understood by she was concerned. She did not think the baby was growing enough.


Katherine and Joseph are very excited about a new baby, but if it is a girl - don't talk to Joseph about it for a while when we find out! He says, "I will ONLY be happy if it is a BOY! I want a brother!" We will find out (hopefully, if baby cooperates) November 9th!

I "get" to do the yucky early gestational diabetes screening on October 12th. I had gestational diabetes with Joseph, but not with Isabelle. We are thinking that it had more to do with the celiac disease than anything and since I am following a strict GF diet I am not having the issues anymore - at least we are hoping!

We are hoping to have a good update on the house later this week or early next week! Hopefully we can get the house going soon or the baby will definitely be here before we move...

2 comments:

  1. Adorable!! I love the ultrasound pictures. I do think their personality shows even in those ultrasounds. Kate was always hiding behind her arm and acted a little shy. To this day, when you first meet her, she is shy. Our new one is a mover, too, so it will be interesting to see what she dis like. Maybe she will be the super outgoing one. Good luck with the gestational diabetes screening. I do that in the next 2 weeks. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to do another one in the late one, well as long as I "pass" this one... Good luck with yours too! I have had to do the 3 hour one more times than I like, but I know it is because it is important.

    ReplyDelete